Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Da Code! Da Code!

My DVD player was busy over the holiday weekend, as I also sat down and viewed Da Vinci Code, mostly to see what all the fuss was about, and as expected, I was highly underwhelmed.  I give DVC credit for actually holding my interest all the way through, but overall I found the plot to be too contrived and implausible, and I don’t get why so many religious people feel so threatened by this film.  Why is it the right-wing ultra-conservative Bible-thumper crowd always gets its collective panties in a wad over such mediocre movies?  I agree with something a co-worker of mine said to me last week (a church-going Baptist, I might add): if your faith can’t withstand a freakin’ Hollywood movie, then the problem lies with you and not the movie!  The same thing happened with The Last Temptation of Christ and The Passion of The Christ, neither of which I would normally have bothered to see, but since it pisses off the suppressive God Squad brethren when someone watches them, I felt obliged to check them out.  You could include Brokeback Mountain in that group too, although it was actually a decent story instead of a sub-par bore like those others.

I must admit that my agnostic viewpoint prevents me from being offended by films like these to begin with, but I honestly still don’t see what the big deal is here. For instance, Passion to me was nothing more than a gorier Jesus Christ Superstar minus all the singing and dancing, and Last Temptation was a total bore.  What really cracks me up is how every time the God Squadders create such an uproar about films they don’t want us to see, they wind up drawing so much undue and undeserved attention to them, and in turn, make box office smashes out of them!  If they’d just keep their yaps shut, no one would bother to see the damn things in the first place and they'd quietly fade away…