Tuesday, December 18, 2007

'Scuse me while I puke and die!

John Mellencamp has been voted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame.  So has Madonna.  So has some so-called Rocker named Leonard Cohen.  Shit, they might as well induct Mantovanni, Pat Boone and Topo Gigio while they're at it.  Meanwhile, Deep Purple, The Moody Blues, Kiss, Paul Revere & The Raiders, Rush, The Doobie Bros., Cheap Trickoh, fuck it, I give up!  I surrender!  I'm done arguing about who should be inducted into this travesty of a shrine.  It's a very cool museum in Cleveland, but the entity as a whole is a fucking joke!  At least the Country Music folks get it right by inducting those who rightfully belong in their Hall of Fame...

2 comments:

dr sardonicus said...

Someday I'll do my defense of John Mellencamp. For now, I'll just say that he certainly belongs.

Madonna is arguably the most influential pop music artist of the last 25 years, and that's how she gets in. She probably did more to kill classic rock than any other single figure.

Leonard Cohen puts me to sleep, but I knew a few people who were really into him.

The Hall Of Fame could be considered the critics' revenge. Most of the acts you listed as deserving were never critical favorites, except for Cheap Trick. They're being kept out of the Hall because they sold records to us dumb kids while Brian Eno and the New York Dolls couldn't.

Brian Holland said...

Precisely my point: the Hall of Fame should be about the music--ROCK music--of the people, not a bunch of tree-hugging hippie 'Rolling Stone' critics who think the Velvet Underground and Patti Smith were the greatest thing since The Beatles.

You'll be hard pressed, Doc., to convince me of Mellencamp's Hall worthiness--I've hated that hick Springsteen wanna-be for decades now--but I'm willing to listen to your point of view, so by all means, bring it on...