Thursday, February 7, 2008

Classic Old-School Fast Food Joint #3

A quick salute to a relatively minor chain of root beer & hot dog/burger stands called Dog 'n' Suds, who tried to follow in the footsteps of A&W, who were making big strides in the mid-'70s.  I don't remember a whole lot about them, other than they replaced our legendary Raytown Smak's Drive-In sometime in 1974 or 1975, and they made the mistake of installing a jukebox there.  I distinctly remember riding my bike up there during the summer of '75 and torturing the hamburger-flippers therein by constantly playing Ringo Starr's "Oh My My" and Queen's "Killer Queen".  D'n'S only lasted a couple years in Raytown and the drive-in was turned into a used car lot for a few years, and the place was torn down sometime in the early '80s.  The photos here are of a couple retro Dog 'n' Suds locations, as there apparently are still a few operating around the upper Midwest.

1 comment:

dr sardonicus said...

We had a Dog 'N' Suds in Belleville for most of the 60's into the early 70's. I think they tore it down to build a chiropractor's offfice.