Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Yes, I'm still here...

Just wanted to do a quick post before someone does an autopsy on my blog here, plus I wanted to move Lynyrd Skynyrd off the top, as well.

Again, please bear with me for a while longer, as I have not had the time, energy or desire to post anything lately because of my father's grave illness.  It ain't much fun just waiting around for him to die, but that's where we find ourselves at this point.  He's 87 years old, and was hospitalized three weeks ago with his second bout of pnuemonia in two months.  The first bout nearly killed him, and while this second one wasn't quite as severe, his system is just rapidly wearing down, not to mention the fact that he was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer, for which he's not a candidate for treatment.  We had him transferred two weeks ago to the hospice facility where my sister (who is a nurse) works to ride out his remaining days.  The good news is Dad's not in any pain at this point, but he's not really cognitive anymore, and is now down to only consuming liquids, thus probably won't last more than 4-5 more days.

I do plan to do a post soon about my Dad and my somewhat-strained relationship with him, which I hope will shed some light on why I am the way I am.  All in good time, after I've had a chance to do some reflection, and I promise this blog will live on eventually...

No comments: