Saturday, April 14, 2012

Travelblog: 2012 Worldwide Texas Tour, Episode 5

CSI: DALLAS
Here be the site of the world's original "Nightmare On Elm Street", outside the Texas Book Depository Building in Dallas (or "Suppository" as the dude in Full Metal Jacket called it).  I have an airtight alibi--I was in the womb when JKF was assassinated, but I have to say that Lee Harvey Oswald was one helluva shot to be able to nail a moving target from that distance (twice).  Hovever, I think he had a little help, as well.  Hard to believe next year will be the 50th anniversary too.


"LOOK THROUGH ANY WINDOW...WHAT DO YOU SEE?"
Here's a look at Oswald's perch in the Book Suppository Building.  I highly recommend a visit to the 6th Floor Museum thereof.  It starts you in the back of the building and you make your way through a labyrinth of photos and exhibits about the Kennedy Administration and the world in general of the early '60s.  You eventually are led to corner window where LHO did his dirty work, of course, but the only downside is they're real anal about taking photos inside the museum, for some reason.  Very educational, all the same.


X MARKS THE SPOT...
...literally, of where John F. Kennedy was shot, in the middle of Elm Street.  It's amazing how the Dealey Plaza area has remained pretty much unchanged in almost 50 years, although you may notice that the "grassy knoll" across the road ain't so grassy these days.  When I drove away from the area after my museum tour, it felt kinda creepy driving over that X in the road, and I won't deny I was looking over my right shoulder in case someone was taking aim at me and my Grand Marquis!

WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING WARREN COMMISSION...
...we got all the answers right here!  Never ceases to amaze me how these crackpots are able to con people into buying their leaflets and propaganda in regards to the Kennedy assassination.  Just another reminder that P.T. Barnum was right about the 60-second reproduction rate of suckers...


IT'S A BLOODY REUNION...
Fans of J.R. Ewing and the TV show Dallas are no doubt familiar with this sight, Reunion Tower and glass palace Hyatt Regency next door.  Once upon a time, the tower housed a radio station whose studios were visible to the public, which would've driven me nuts if I was deejay-ing there with people constantly gawking at me.  There was also a time when you could ride up to the observation deck and get some killer views of downtown, the Kennedy sites and about half of Texas, but that is no longer the case.  They closed off the deck in 2009 and never re-opened it, and the only way you can go up in the tower now is if you want to waste your hard-earned money on overpriced (and overrated) Wolfgang Puck food at his hoity-toity restaurant.  Give me Waffle House any day over that pigeon food...
 
"MAKE SURE THEY GET YOUR GOOD SIDE, GOOD SIDE..."
Is there not a more famous profile in football history?  This is the very accurate statue of legendary Dallas Cowboys head coach Tom Landry, which now stands guard outside of Cowboys Stadium in Arlington.  More about "Jerry World" forthcoming soon in Episode 6...

No comments: