Friday, December 8, 2006

Another anniversary...

Hard to believe that it was 26 years ago today that John Lennon was killed. We all remember where we were that night, and that period of mourning is one memory that’s still very vivid for me. I was in the midst of a Beatles binge at the time leading up to it, reading up on the band and learning more about them and really getting deeper into their music catalog (beyond just the big hits), thus making Lennon’s murder even more poignant to me. I can clearly remember the day after at school (my Junior year in H.S.) just staring out the window during study hall and feeling so depressed, trying to make some sense out of it all. I gave that up years ago, though, and just chalked it up to fate, I guess. What really sucks is that Lennon had really matured as a person during the last five years of his life, and was no longer the reactionary figure and opportunistic grandstander he once was (not unlike phonies like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton today, for example), and it would have been interesting to hear what he had to say musically during the ‘80s had he lived, and even moreso during the aftermath of 9/11. I’ll never be known as a "tree-hugging hippie pacifist", but there is some merit to the whole "Give Peace A Chance" thing…