Friday, June 29, 2007

New Blog City

Haven't done a misc. items entry for a while, so let's get caught up on a few things...

"I'M LISTENING...AND I'M SHAVING"
I snapped this photo at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul back in March. Is this guy a dead ringer for Kelsey Grammer with his head shaved, or what?

IS THERE NOTHING SACRED?
Was more than a little disgusted the other day to hear Motorhead's classic "Ace Of Spades" on a 2K Sports TV commercial for their latest baseball video game featuring St. Louis Cardinals star Albert Pujols.  Never thought I'd see the day when my man Lemmy would knuckle under to capitalism...

BIRDS OF A FEATHER
Was rather bemused to stumble across Bill O'Reilly interviewing Ann Coulter last night on Faux News Channel.  Rather fascinating to watch two turds engaged in conversation...

GOOD QUESTION
A letter writer in the paper the other day posed the following:  Why was Jack Kevorkian imprisoned for helping people to die who were suffering, yet it's perfectly okay for veterinarians to euthanize dogs and cats for the same reason?

A MOMENT OF SILENCE, PLEASE...
For NFL Europa, the NFL's developmental league that used to be called the World League of American Football (WLAF), or as David Letterman and I peferred to call it, the "Waffle League".  The league was losing $30 million a year, and five out of the six remaining teams were in Germany anyway ("NFL Deutschland", anybody?), so the mothership decided to give up the ship after 15 years.  I always liked those Frankfurt Galaxy helmets too...

CLASSIC MISHEARD LYRIC #36
"Soul Man"--SAM & DAVE (1968)/BLUES BROTHERS (1979) "I was educated from good stock"  I always thought it was "I was educated at Woodstock.Well, some of those tree-hugging hippies were educated there, I guess.  A little trivia for you, while I'm at it—guitarist "Play It" Steve Cropper didn't have a proper slide when they recorded the Sam & Dave version at Stax Records, so he used a cigarette lighter to play slide gee-tar.  Seems that Mr. Cropper and the rest of Booker T. & The MG's are far more important figures in music history than I ever knew, as I am currently reading Rob Bowman's excellent book, Soulsville, U.S.A.The Story of Stax Records. These guys—Cropper, bassist Duck Dunn, drummer Al Jackson and Booker T. Jones on the keys—played on more hit records than most people realize.

FRIED HOCKEY BOOGIE
I am quite impressed with the Hockey Hall of Fame's induction class for 2007:
Mark Messier:  A no-brainer here.  Classy player, although I would've preferred he stay in Edmonton instead of finishing his career with the New York Strangers.
Ron Francis:  Finally, a TRUE Hartford Whaler in the Hall!
Al MacInnis:  Another classy guy, and it's great to see another St. Louis Blue in the Hall.
Scott Stevens:  My man from the Devils' Stanley Cup teams.  It's strangely ironic that his career was ended prematurely by a concussion, since he was so proficient at dishing them out during his career...

SPEAKING OF HOCKEY...
Rumors are flying like errant pucks into the stands about the Nashville Predators possibly relocating to Kansas City and the Sprint Center thereof.  Trying not to get my hopes up too much here, but unlike with K.C.'s previous foray trying to lure the Pittsburgh Penguins here, this is a team I won't feel guilty about "stealing" because Nashville has all the hockey tradition of La Paz, Bolivia anyway.  I don't even mind if they retain the name Predators if they move here, but I hope they lose those hideous uniforms and colors.  In fact, it wouldn't break my heart to see those beautiful (and highly underrated) K.C. Scouts uniforms hitting the ice again...

No comments: