Saturday, January 5, 2008

Careful, Nervous Blogger Driving...

THE HOUSE IS A-ROCKIN'...
I neglected to mention on Thursday that it was my 12th anniversary at my humble abode, which I took possession of on January 3, 1996, thus my house is now officially 60% paid-for.  It ain't the Taj Mahal or the Presley Estate, but it's a good little house all the same, and I love it to death.

SPEAKING OF STEVIE RAY REFERENCES...
SRV will be eligible for induction into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame next year.  He fuckin' better be inducted, or I will personally drive to Cleveland to the Hall of Fame and piss on it.  Really, really hard!

ROCK CHALK, JAYHAWKS
As a Missouri fan, even I have to give it up to Kansas for their 24-21 victory in the Orange Bowl the other night against Virginia Tech.  I certainly was all ready to do the "Hokie Pokey" if Va. Tech won, but KU was up to the challenge of proving they are indeed worthy.  It's all good for the Big 12 too, as we now have a changing of the guard after 40 some-odd years of Nebraska/Oklahoma/Colorado/Texas domination of the conference.  Next season promises to be even more exciting than this year was...

I also must comment on the milquetoast performance by ZZ Top at halftime of the O-Bowl.  One friggin' song ("Sharp Dressed Man") and that's all?  And do we really need all the dancing girls scattered all around the field, all of whom weren't even born before "My Head's In Mississippi" came out?  Frankly, I expect better from the Little 'Ol Band From Tejas!

While I'm at it, I want to share a quote from K.C. Star columnist Jeff Flanagan about the bowl game coverage on TV in general:  "We don't need 100 interviews with past coaches, retired athletic directors, parents in the stands, or VIPs on the sideline...Some marketing genius at ESPN apparently decided a few years ago that football telecasts should be geared toward entertaining and/or luring the non-football fan.  But guess what?  The non-football fan isn't watching 99.9% of the bowls...Non-football fans watch other things."  Amen to that!  The gambit I'm sickest of is interviewing the parents in the stands and/or showing their reaction to every freakin' play their QB son makesvery irritating!  NBC started this crap about 15 years ago or so when Bubby Brister was subbing at QB for the Steelers in a game at Denver, and Jesus Horatio Christ, these som-bitches flashed their cameras to catch his mom in the crowd after every fucking play to get her reaction to young Bubby's prowess on the playing field, and it got old real quick, folks!

SURE SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE
One of our local Classic Rock stations is running their "Top 1,001 Songs of All-Time" countdown to start the year, and at position #666 is that Satanic classic, "All You Need Is Love" by The Beatles!  The number of the beast, you say?  I dunno, but then again, you can't spell "Beatles" without "b-e-a-s-t"...

OUR COUSIN VINNIE?
For no particular reason, I got to thinking about former Kiss guitarist Vinnie Vincent today.  A little trivia for you, heredidya know that our man Vincent Cusano was a staff writer on TV's "Happy Days"?  I'd be willing to bet it was during the "Joanie Loves Chachi" era.  Anyway, allow me to present to you one of the silliest music videos of all-time.  Not a bad song, mind you, but this thing looked more like a parody of Rock excess than anything Weird Al ever did.  I've said it before, I'll say it againVV was a damn good songwriter, but he was a mediocre guitar player, at best, and he stepped on his own winkie (while wearing spiked golf shoes) more than a little bit...

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO "LENNY THE COOL"
I witnessed yet another bon mot from former Chiefs legend Len Dawson last night on Channel 9 here in K.C., where he is their sports anchor.  He's notorious for butchering (non-football) player's names, and while reporting the news that the Royals had signed former big-name pitcher Hideo Nomo (pronounced hih-DAY-o) to a minor-league contract, our Lenny pronounced Nomo's first name as to rhyme with "video"!  I loved Len Dawson to death as a player, and he's not bad as a color commentator on the Chiefs radio broadcasts either, but he is to TV sports anchoring what Vinnie Vincent was to music video-ing!

TELLIN' IT LIKE IT ISVOLUME II
More song lyrics where I substitute the word "fuck" for the word "love", like it shoulda been in the first place...

"More Today Than Yesterday"SPIRAL STAIRCASE (1970)  "Every day's a new day, every time I fuck (love) ya..."
"Good Trouble"R.E.O. SPEEDWAGON (1982)  "We could stay awake and fuck (dance) all night--we can always sleep..."
"Lovin' You's A Dirty Job"RATT (1990)  "Fuckin' (Lovin') you is a dirty job..."

No comments: