Saturday, January 26, 2008

Classic Old-School Fast-Food Joint #2

This time I salute a local favorite, the Smaks hamburger chain, which at one time was huge in the Kansas City area.  At their peak, they had nearly two dozen locations around the city in the early '70s, including one in Raytown on 50 Hiway that I could literally see from my bedroom window when I was young.  My apologies for the poor photo quality here (click to enlarge), which I pirated from a Kansas City Star publicationget a load of those menu prices on the sign!  We rarely ate out as a family (Dad hated taking us anywhere) but when we did, we frequented Smaks more than any other fast food joint, to the point where I never even set foot in a McDonald's until 1973!  Smaks had the finest vanilla shakes on the planet, too...

The typical Smaks was laid out in similar fashion to Sonic drive-ins, although they didn't provide curb serviceyou had to go inside to get your food. Smaks even had a mascot, Smaky The Seal, who appeared in their TV and print ads, giving their food his "Seal of Approval", naturally.  Sadly, Smaks was unable to compete with McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's as the '70s wore on, and one by one, their restaurants closed.  The one in Raytown died sometime in 1974-75 and was converted into a Dog 'N' Suds root beer stand, which will be the subject of a future post.  A Firestone tire place now occupies the site.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow!

I'm from Excelsior Springs MO and remember Smak's. It took me forever to find a pic for my book, Raised By White Trash. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I do believe the Smaks on 50hwy(now 350) was a "Wopperburger" when the Smaks closed for a while. Right behind Zarda Dairy,(now the site of a pawn shop). I think Mc Donalds hit Raytown in their first location,where Arby's is now" in 1975.

Brian Holland said...

You're right--I'd forgotten all about Wopperburger before it became Dog 'N' Suds. I used to walk up there all the time and play their jukebox, but rarely ordered any food! lol

Anonymous said...

Our two favorite "fast food places" were Whites drive in and Kings food Host. Our nicer places to eat when I was younger was Copper Kettle and Jim Carter's Smorgesboard in Raytown Plaza. Then the Sizzler came to town.