Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I feel uptight on a Tuesday night...

Well, not really--just felt like paraphrasing a cool Kiss lyric for no particular reason...

A DETERRENT TO ALCOHOLISM
Just have a single beer line at any event!  This pic was taken at the concert I attended with several friends on Saturday night, and I think there were more folks in the beer line than there were watching the show.  Actually, it was a mighty fine show featuring what's left of Head East and what's left of local favorites Shooting Star (one original member each) at a new venue in Kearney, MO, just a little ways north of K.C. The permanent concession stands were not completed in time for this show, so patrons had only one choice for alky-hol, a temporary beer stand that wasn't terribly efficient, as you can see.  In spite of that, I liked the new venue a lotit's light years better than Sandstone Amphitheater, albeit about a quarter of the size, but with superior sound.  Official concert review forthcoming soon in a future edition of the "Concert Trek" series on this blog...

CRUSADE UPDATE
Well, so much for my attempt to shame the woman who parks in the handicapped spots at my workplace whom I detailed in my last blog entry.  In spite of the pointed note I placed on her windshield Friday, she still had the affrontery to park in the same place yesterday, but amazingly, she must have had some miracle cure overnight, because she parked in a regular space today with the rest of us able-bodied humans.  Must have been those faith-healers on BET...

START SPREADIN' THE NEWS...
...I'm praising the Yanks!  Kudos for one of the rare occasions from yours truly to the New York Yankees for their very novel and classy approach to the pregame ceremonies for tonight's All-Star Game in Da Bronx.  They rounded up as many living Hall of Fame baseball immortals as they could find and had them take their original positions on the field, then introduced the starting players from each league at the various positions and had them join the Hall of Famers.  Brilliant idea!  Hell, the pregame was more fun than the game itself so far.  Our good friend Yogi Berra got the biggest round of applause of all, as one might expect.  Nice going, New Yawk!

Overrated singer/songwriter Sheryl Crow did a fairly credible rendition of the National Anthem tonight.  You don't suppose ol' Horsey Face is any relation to John Elway, do ya?

NO JOSHING
Gotta give it up to Texas Rangers' centerfielder Josh Hamilton's breakout performance in last night's Home Run Derby at Yankee Stadium, when he smacked 28 dingers in one round.  He didn't win the whole shootin' match (Justin Morneau of the Twins did), but this guy is an interesting story, as he's gone from drug-addled knucklehead to potential A.L. MVP in just a couple of years.  I'll be interested to see if he can maintain his current sobriety with all the media attention being foisted upon him.  Hamilton's round was the only one I watched last night, as I couldn't take an entire evening's worth of Chris Berman orgasms on ESPN.  I used to really like this guy, but his act has gotten as stale as Vanilla Ice's.

TATTOO YOU?
During tonight's game broadcast, Fox's Joe Buck made mention of Hamilton's numerous tattoos that Ozzy Osbourne might be envious of26 in allwhich Josh admits he now regrets.  I've never understood the whole tattoo thing myself.  Why would you litter your own body with graffiti?  There's nothing I feel that strongly about that I would feel the need to have permanently etched on my person anyway.  What I find truly depressing is the vast number of women with tattoos nowit's a MAJOR turn-off to me.  I don't even care if the tattoo is something dainty and femininethey just come across as too macho for my tastes.  Another rare occasion when I sound like a conservative...

AWWW, POOR BABY!
Seems there's little interest in Major League teams in the services of one Barry Bonds this season, to the point where no team even wants to sign the schlub for the minimum league salary.  Just breaks your heart, doesn't it?

BUH-BYE!
CBS Sports finally came to their senses and got rid of insipid NCAA basketball color analyst Billy Packer this week, a move that comes about 20 years too late for my liking.  This guy (along with Dick Vitale) was such an irritating shill for the ACC and East Coast teams in general.  Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, Bill...

AND NOW, THE END IS NEAR...
...for another classic sports arena, as it was announced today that the Spectrum in Philadelphia will be demolished sometime in 2009.  Opened in 1967, the former home of the 76ers and Flyers was replaced about ten years ago by the Insert-Corporate-Bank-Name-Here Center right next door, but has still been used by the Flyers' American Hockey League affiliate (aPhilliate?), the Philadephia Phantoms, as well as erstwhile indoor soccer team the Philadelphia Kixx.  The Spectrum was home to the famed "Broad Street Bullies" Flyers teams of the mid-'70s that won two Stanley Cups, as well as Dr. J and the Sixers and was the fictional site of the big fight in the first Rocky film (portrayed admirably by the L.A. Sports Arena).

CLASSIC MISHEARD LYRIC #89
"Empty Glass"PETE TOWNSHEND (1980)  "I'm so sick of dub TV..."  Unbeknownst to me, "dub TV" is what Brits commonly refer to as videotapes, therefore I thought Pete was singing "I'm so sick of dumb TV..."

KIDS SAY THE DARNDEST THINGS!
During a stop to get beer tonight at the local Kwikee Mart, I was wearing my Beatles Revolver t-shirt featuring that famed album cover on it.  The 20-something geek behind the counter complimented me on my shirt and said (in all seriousness), "Revolverthat's the name of the band, right?"  Oh, you youngin's...

OLD PEOPLE SAY THE DARNDEST THINGS!
Yet another bon mot from a patient at my workplace.  In filling out his medical history sheet, a man recently indicated that he had an "Asian Orange"...

No comments: