Sunday, February 3, 2008

Eli came!

Far be it for me to ever root for a New York sports team (my mighty New Jersey Devils notwithstanding), but a major salute goes out from yours truly to Eli Manning and the New York Football Giants for their titanic upset of the New England Patriots in Stupor Bowl 42 tonight.  Now, I won't claim that I predicted the G-men to win tonight, but I did say that this game would be a whole lot closer than the 14-point spread that was predicted (check back to this here blog a couple weeks ago).  Props to young master E. Manning (the game's MVP) for engineering the game-winning drive with 2.5 minutes to go, climaxing with Plexiglas Burress' TD catch with :35 remaining to give the Giants the 17-14 win, thus popping numerous corks in the greater Miami area as the 1972 Dolphins alumni can still lay claim to the only perfect season in NFL history.

Props also go out to Tom Petty for his very classy halftime performance that included no waredrobe malfunctions or phallic symbols whatsoever.  Although I'm not all that big a TP fan, he's managed to put together a very steady and consistent career, and he did himself proud tonight.

No comments: